Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanks, Lord

Lord,

Today's one of those amazing days, and I stop to reflect on the blessings you've given to me and those I love. So, today, I'm thankful for those right in front of me: my wife, sons, daughter in law, grandsons. For things going on outside of this warm house: gentle snowfall, snow-covered yard, the neighborhood, the university where I work, the department in which my work is housed, and city in which we live.

The meal today was amazing, offered by your hand and put together by my wife and our daughter in law. Stories around the table were inspiring and full of joy and laughter. The wonder of children in the snow, throwing snowballs at the elderly was fun.

And, today, I'm thankful, Lord, for the people to whom my students and I have been introduced around the country, for people who have moved beyond acquaintances to comrades in the righteous cause of Black farmers, for the Monicas, Garys, Harrys, Dennises, Willies, and Montes of this land.

And, I'm thankful for opportunities to serve people in your name. Those students who've walked alongside me in these efforts, Team I, Team II, and Team III, thanks for allowing our paths to cross, and thanks especially for their willingness to work as advocates in their chosen areas of life around the country.

I'm aware also, Father, that it is the power of the evil one and the dark side of human nature that offer us these opportunities to serve. Eradicate from our land, from our world, and from our hearts, O God, all vestiges of racism. Remove from the institutions of our government even the smallest of glimpses of discrimination. Empower us, O Holy One of Israel, to rise up and speak against things that harm individuals, couples, families, and communities.

Restore us all to wholeness and to right standing with you. Empower us to speak for the powerless, advocate for those who are in need, and lift us all up as your people to serve your people.

May your Kingdom come and your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.