Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Words of a former student

Here is the text written by a student of mine, Michelle Finley, who is now studying MFT at Purdue University. The article was originally written for a local Christian newspaper there in Abilene. I think you'll appreciate her reflections.

"In the blink of an eye a life can be saved by a simple act of empathy and an informed, not-knowing stance. My own life’s joys and sufferings have shaped how I perceive the experience of others and empathize with them. At the same time I have a great amount of curiosity about each person’s unique journey. We all have experiences or events in our lives potentially providing a framework from which to serve others and help bring justice to someone’s life. I do not mean a heroic, valiant pursuit of justice in some mythic superhero legend, but rather a deceptively small act that ameliorates suffering simply by choosing love and the way of Christ.

During my training as a marriage and family therapist I encounter an array of opportunities to-in some way-help others who are oppressed in their relationships and in their communities. So often, as Christians, we galvanize ourselves by striving to know exactly what God’s plan or will is for our lives, yet all around us are moments begging us to display God’s love to others. How do we display God’s love? To answer this question I humbly venture into my journey through the world of marriage and family therapy and the unexpected places I have been as a result.

For the past year I have embarked on a journey in my internship at the Marriage and Family Institute to be among a chorus of voices seeking justice among African-American farmers facing discrimination at the hands of the USDA and local county officials. Simple and small, yet vastly profound implications for the lives affected simply from caring to ask, caring to research, and caring to speak. I am currently working with my professor and mentor, Dr. Waymon Hinson, and a team of six other students in hearing the stories of black farmers and the discrimination they face while dealing with the USDA. Because of skin color these farmers have experienced financial hardships and diminished livelihood from USDA workers refusing to honor these farmers for their work in providing this country with much of its food supply.

As a marriage and family therapy intern, I learn and apply theoretical models of how to “do therapy” as I work with individuals, couples, and families striving to better their lives. Many of these models’ objectives are to help people find paths to better, healthier living. My faith in God and my awe for the words, actions, and love made manifest in the life of Christ fuel my passion and desire to help carve out new paths for people to break free from oppression and injustice. Therapy, for me, is an obvious profession to channel the love of Christ. What fascinated me most about Dr. Hinson’s research with black farmers is how various therapy modalities can be applied to larger human systems in addition to individuals, couples, and families. I liken this scenario of applying therapy to larger human systems to how Christians employ both discipleship and missions in bringing salvation and relationship with God to other people across the globe. How rewarding to extend my skills as an intern to a world of hurting people in need for someone to hear, for someone to care, and for someone to help facilitate healing from injustice!

Advocacy evolves out of listening, observing, and addressing points of injustice. Psychology and marriage and family therapy alike point to the role of the therapist as an advocate for the oppressed. As a therapist I hear stories of domestic violence and subsequently connect persons to resources liberating them from the abuse. I listen to the dreams and hurts of a teenager and helping that teen uncover his true identity. I utilize my training in systems theory to address the emotional, physical, and social impact discrimination has on black farmers."