Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What do you think?

I get those google alerts every day. Perhaps you've tried them on specific topics yourself. One of the three that I retrieve daily is on "black farmers." Google with all of its technology sends the latest and not so latest web sources on the topic.

Last week one came and it was over the edge in terms of inflammatory. The author, a reputable writer for reputable newspapers in the east, had a variety of topics related to the theme "we've paid our dues to Black people." With that theme in mind, off the author of the blog went, giving information and mis-information to his readers. Granted, it was from a post written in 2001, but it was also one re-posted to the web in March, 2008. What caught my attention was his calling the Pigford case a frivolous lawsuit. Whatever it was and is, it's not nor will it ever be frivolous. Inadequate? Yes. Misguided? Yes. In some ways a violation of constitutional law with regard to procedural matters? Yes. Did some do well in it? Yes. Did it fail some miserably? Yes.

Misinformation can be corrected. I'd like to be bold enough to say that what my students and I are writing on these pages is opinion, experiences, and facts. We've laid out various sets of data about the Pigford case and its inequities. If not here, then that information is found at a variety of other sites including http://www.ewg.org/. That, in my opinion, is the best one source of information.

What was more inflammatory was the tone of it all. "WE have paid OUR debts," so step back and get on with life. So, I'm just wondering today, "How do WE get to decide whether OUR debt is really paid back or not? Who gets to decide what a kidney or an eye or a spouse or a farm is worth to those in whose body it was found, or whose family is now shattered, or whose livelihood is now destroyed?" Those who perpetrated don't, in my opinion, get to decide when it's finished.

I think those upon whom our perpetrations landed get to make the final call as to "debt paid in full." I'm also suspicious these days that there are still closet racists amongst us. Not intending to sound more judgmental than necessary, but still, how does the end of our indebtedness come to people upon whose backs this country was built, and within the boundaries of which institutional racism continues to exist. On the other hand, I do believe we need to work in some meaningful fashion to craft a reconciliation effort that works for all.

Here's the link. I think you'll find it interesting.

Then, yesterday, while driving home from my downtown office, I was sitting at the traffic light behind a vehicle registered in a southern state. There, on the rear window, was the confederate flag. That evoked another set of emotions. Images carry with them words, thoughts, feelings, and experiences. I know people who love that flag. I know people for whom that image is one of unspeakable degradation..........

Just yesterday I was asked by a student, a well-meaning person whose heart belongs to the King of Kings, "Dr. Hinson, if you weren't working with the black farmers, would you have been offended if one of your sons dated a black woman?" Stopped me in my tracks. Made me think. Made me recall my family of origin and times of complexity for a child of the south. I hope my answer would be "the color of her skin would not matter, just the content of her character."

I'm a work in progress. Surely you are as well. All of us are works in progress.

There's much work to be done.